Friday, March 2, 2012

More lazy food

So, everyone on the sailing & preparedness forums is absolutely mad for this Hormel Roast Beef and Gravy. I was pretty dubious, but, even people who appear to be pretty good cooks like the stuff. Always one for a new experience and a dinner I can have prepared in 5 minutes flat, I picked up a can.

And, you know what? They're right. The meat is really tender, like a well-cooked pot roast. The gravy is reasonably flavorful, and is just fine after adding some red pepper flakes & ground black pepper. I meant to stir in a dollop of horseradish, but I discovered I'm out. Simon and I ate the gravy over baked potatoes for lunch, and it was a satisfying meal. I think the beef & gravy would also make a good basis for a stew if you added some cabbage, carrots, potatoes and other vegetables.

The only problem with the stuff is the price. At both the grocery store and Amazon, the stuff sells for over three bucks a can, which is a lot for what you are getting. You can bring it down to $2.88 a can if you use Subscribe & Save at Amazon, but, I'm not sure I'm comfortable having a canned roast beef subscription.

Still, if I find it cheap enough, this will probably make it into the food rotation.

No comments:

Post a Comment